ROME 09/10

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

masitofresco

ROME 09/10

Post by masitofresco » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:54 am

Disclaimer: my memory is not real affordable so I may give some partially inaccurate details - someone who attended the show (Fabien) can correct me for sure! :)
The great news is that Evan was in great shape, smiling a lot, trying to communicate, and into the show! He even joked about last years' accident, saying something like "if someone wants to throw a chair at me it's ok", and at one point in between songs he came out with the lyrics of "cazzo di ferro" !
They have a new drummer that had just arrived yesterday, he played well, had just some hesitation in the end of some song.
The show lasted 70-80 minutes, and he played mostly old stuff from "it's a shame about Ray" and "c'mon feel the lemonheads" ... from last year's album he only played No backbone.
Show started with Evan solo, with the electric guitar. The outdoor type, ride with me, no backbone, being around, stove...these are the ones I remember. The audience was into it, and cheered Evan.....The band entered and "my drug buddy" started. after some songs with the band, he returned solo, always with the electric guitar. Back with the band for a great ending of the show. 2 encores were played, they ended with "big gay heart" - but my memory may be a bit blurred!
Finally a great Lemoheads show in Rome, I left quite satisfied this time!

Francisco Dianes

Re: ROME 09/10

Post by Francisco Dianes » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Great news. Thanks!

Ouish

Post by Ouish » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:55 pm

Really enjoyed the show last night, we decided to spend an extra night in Rome, what a beautiful place to be :lovedup: it really is something :nod:

Polythene Pam

Post by Polythene Pam » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Glad that you are having a good time!! :D :guitar:

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:16 pm

a romantic weekend? hopefully you jettisoned vess.... :lol:
I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me

Fabien G

Post by Fabien G » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Hello everyone,
fantastic week-end in Rome for me I must say.

contrary to what masitofresco previously said, I was so into it I completely forgot to note which song were played, and I can't remeber the setlist now! :(

The nice 'Circollo Degli Artisti' was probably filled but not 'packed'. 'Vegetable G' did a good job as opening act (http://forum.evandando.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

It was the first time I could attend a Lemonheads gig. Evan arrived alone on the stage, wearing a pair of jeans, t-shirt with a truck on it, and wet-like hair, and to me who am not used to see him so closely, I found him slightly... maybe had he been drinking of smoking a bit too much before the show? Anyway he was smiling and seemed very happy to be here. Performed five songs alone with his electric guitar, slow ones, pop ones, and they all sounded great! He chatted well inbeetween the songs, even in italian from times to times, which made the audience laugh. He thus then was joined by bassist and drummer. The bass was... balancing... I mean whereas Evan is almost in slow motion in some ways, he was moving and dancing and entertaining and playing and having fun all along the set, always with a smile on his face. The drummer, on the contrary (well I know it's not nice to do face-judgement) looked not bored but almost out of place, not really involved (i understand now). A fag at the corner of his mouth, it was like he was playing in his garage. Anyway. He did the job, no more no less. Between each songs, he would lean over his drum kit to have a look on the tracklist on the floor in front of it, and it seemed they almost chose the songs as the set go, or almost. At some point, someone threw a cap on the stage, Evan grabbed it and wore t during the next song. After a while, all the band get off stage, and Evan came back alone for more solo songs (covers). Then the 'band' came back as well to perform more Lemonheads songs. Evan asked which song to choose (the drummer a few times had seem to say "sorry I don't know this one weel enough" through the set) and someone shouted 'big gay heart', and they decided to play it. And that was it, they all went off stage. everyone shouted as we knew it was already over (not even 1h30!) and Evan came back alone and sang something 'a cappella' like "don't worry my friends, don't be sad, it's over but it's just goodbye" a farewell song (I don't know how to say in english).
After the show I got the chance to have my ticket signed by the band (I gave it to the girl selling the t-shirts and she took it to them, I didn't have the chance to mmet them.

A bit short to me then, maybe I was expecting too much, I remember that at the end of the set I could not remember that they had even played a song from the last album! Cover songs apart, it sounded like a best of. But i do not complain I had a great evening!
To you all who are yet to see them this year, I'm jealous, have a great time too!

hjulian

Post by hjulian » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 pm

YES
GREAT GIG!
me and my friend arrived at "circolo" in time to listen to their soundcheck.
(they played a great version of confetti)
the show was amazing,I was in front of Evan and he told me at one point: sorry but the amp is having problem tonight.
really great time i was so happy.
after the gig I said to their tour manager: I'm waiting for Evan;I wan to talk with him and she laughed.
but when he came in the bus He recognised me and gave me a hug and i Had the time only to say two things.Evan Baby I'm bored is amazing,i've listened to it 10000 times this year.he said thanks.
then i asked him to sing thrasher by neil young ('cause i know the video on you tube where he did an amazing cover) and we started to sing it together.

when the bus left my friend kept on sayin' : man, you sung with EVAN DANDO!
I was shocked.

Fabien G

Post by Fabien G » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:46 pm

lucky you!

noone took a picture of the setlist?

no recording of it either?

Fabien G

Post by Fabien G » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 pm

...a bite late, but i wanted to share...
[attachment=0]P1000144.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

black trees
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by black trees » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 pm

I feel like every Lemonheads/Evan Dando show seems a bit short, then I look at the setlist and realize he played for a long time!

suzy
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by suzy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:17 pm

"time flies,etc.,etc."
fan

Fabien G

Post by Fabien G » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:49 am

I'm used to 3hours+ long concerts with The Cure, so... I thought that with their 10 records catalogue, the set would indeed be longer. It seems to be the general opinion. The fact they had George on drums surely didn't help, but I guess they never play for hours anyway, do they?
I thought they were more "well-known", they'd play a bigger venue, to a bigger audience, and other things... But their songs are often short and anyway I'm just happy I saw them for the first time!
I'm angry I didn't get the chance to meet them like hjulian did!, though Grrr! :D