Review of Belfast Show

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

tinliz

Review of Belfast Show

Post by tinliz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:15 pm

anyone else at this? - the sound was shocking!! Pity as i think it would have been a good show if the sound had been ok

Belfast Telegraph Review

I first saw The Lemonheads in Brixton in the early 90s as part of a grunge package tour which their natural pop sensibility put them gloriously at odds with.
In Evan Dando they had a putative pop genius who threatened briefly to fill the Kurt Cobain-shaped hole in American music. But time has not been kind, and drugs and wilful eccentricity have left Dando the last man standing.
But I come not to praise The Lemonheads but to bury them, because that is surely what Evan Dando did tonight.

The band arrived an hour late onstage with a sound mix from the dark side of hell, My Drug Buddy being the first recognisable song they played.
Then the bass guitarist and drummer disappeared for about half an hour as Dando began an extended solo acoustic slot, including a vast swathe of Lemonhead classics from Bein' Around to Alison's Starting to Happen, taking the word-perfect audience with him.
This gig is an example of why Evan Dando will never be a superstar, and yet always attains a kind of Ragged Glory.
Michael Conaghan

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/reviews/a-shambolic-night-with-evan-and-the-lemonheads-14490535.html#ixzz0R4iR6GNR

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Re: Review of Belfast Show

Post by jmhallam » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 pm

I'll take his ragged glory over any superstar anyday.

tinliz

Post by tinliz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Absolutely. The show did contain one my best ever gig moments where one of my mates accompanied Evan on vocals on Its a shame about Ray

createyourfriends

Post by createyourfriends » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Hey, your mate did a good job! He was standing just in front of us before he went up, came back to many pats on the backs and handshakes.

Anyway, this was my third time seeing The Lemonheads (about 6th or 7th counting Evan solo shows) and it was my favourite band show to date. Ragged glory is right - great three piece line-up, not too tight but on the ball enough to ensure that the occasional improv moment didn't derail things. Some great guitar mangling from Evan - sounded like Dino Jr at times when he cut loose on the solos!

Acoustic section was good too, featured great covers of Here Comes A Regular and I Wish I Was Him, though he aborted his attempt at I Found That Essence Rare as he couldn't remember the chords.

They were late on as your man says and there were tales a plenty of Evan wandering the town shoeless in search of cigarettes earlier in the day circulating in the crowd. Hope he's not back on the bad medicine

I thought the sounds was OK, had earplugs in so could actually make out everything reasonbly well. Evan was complaining about monitors so must have been a different
story onstage?

Also, 50,000 bonus points for playing Frank Mills on September 12. :cheers:

no1rockfan
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by no1rockfan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:02 pm

tinliz wrote:Absolutely. The show did contain one my best ever gig moments where one of my mates accompanied Evan on vocals on Its a shame about Ray
That's just glorious. Have a pic to share?
My you tube videos of Lemonheads and others:  
http://www.youtube.com/no1rockfan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smudge
Contributor 2007
Contributor 2007

Post by Smudge » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Whooa he played The Mats here comes the regular :lovedup: awesomeness of the highest order :music:
"No Bad Dream Fuckers Gonna Boss Me Around" - Elliott Smith

barnboy
Jello Funder 2012
Jello Funder 2012

Post by barnboy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Would love to hear his version of here comes a regular there was a thread here ages ago what covers would you like to hear even do and one of mine was this song hope he does it in london!!!
I found myself a breathing place,
Got room to stand up straight

sloaner

Post by sloaner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:13 pm

keep an eye in the photo section - think Roo is going to throw my pics up soon......

as for the show - glad he turned up this time.....sound was a bit ropey, dont think it was his fault though....rolled out plenty of the older stuff esp in the acousitc section. top band :-)

mallocup
Site Admin

Post by mallocup » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Photos: http://www.evandando.co.uk/live/photos/speakeasy0909.html
[color=darkblue]Sith happens[/color]

tinliz

Post by tinliz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 pm

brilliant pix - you didnt get any of the singer from the crowd during its a shame about Ray by any chance?

sloaner

Post by sloaner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm

im sorry i didnt - i was too busy enjoying the moment. he did very well.

Ouish

Post by Ouish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 pm

fucck you, whatever you were payed it was worth it slime-ball you, that first bugger with the job at a newspaper...tinliz

mboy007

Post by mboy007 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 am

^ - eh?!
No shape, no style, no soul, no substance... no problem

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:16 am

i believe that is evan's way of saying tinliz is a wanker
I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:18 am

although for someone who wrote a song called paid to smile his spelling is a bit, erm, average :saber: :saber: :saber: :saber: :saber: :fight:
I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me

tinliz

Post by tinliz » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:11 pm

hey i didnt write the article just posted the link to the review!

sammaz

Post by sammaz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Can't believe he played Here Comes A Regular (one of my favourite Mats songs ever) the night after I saw them in Dublin, truly devastated. But Dublin was still immense