HMV Forum, London - 19th September

General discussion of all things Evan-y

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

mallocup
Site Admin

HMV Forum, London - 19th September

Post by mallocup » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:30 am

Good show last night. Evan, Vess and Devon all seemed to be enjoying themselves and the energy was really good. Enjoyed seeing the three of them play together again.

Setlist:
Tenderfoot
Down About It
Confetti
Pittsburgh
Drug Buddy
Alison's Starting To Happen
Style
Bit Part
It's A Shame About Ray
Big Gay Heart
Hospital
Layin Up With Linda
I Just Can't Take It Anymore
Dandelion Seeds
It's About Time
Hannah & Gabi
If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
-
Evan solo:
Outdoor Type
Frying Pan
Favorite T
Being Around
Why Do You Do This To Yourself?
Frank Mills
All My Life
Different Drum
-
band back on:
My Idea (very cute, Evan started strumming the acoustic then Devon arrived and came in on drums, then Vess came on and joined in)
Great Big No
Rudderless
[color=darkblue]Sith happens[/color]

mallocup
Site Admin

Re: HMV Forum, London - 19th September

Post by mallocup » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:20 pm

3 pages of photos added from last night, starting here...
http://www.evandando.co.uk/live/photos/forum0909.html

HoneyMughal

Post by HoneyMughal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:37 pm

I thought it was a great show, and he seemed far happier than the shows back in May, reminded me of back in the day when it was Nic Dalton and Dave Ryan.

My only gripe, I wish they'd come back on after Rudderless. And I would have loved to hear no backbone, but any gig that starts with tenderfoot is going to be great!

barnboy
Jello Funder 2012
Jello Funder 2012

Post by barnboy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Enjoyed the show thought the p.a was a bit poor but they looked like they were enjoying themselves.Went with some friends one of which was a lemonheads virgin, one had not seen them since 94 another had not seen them since 96.
The virgin new 4 song and thought they were great.
94 said was good but if he had not know the band and the songs he would have thought they were average.
96 enjoyed them much more than when he saw them last especially style.
I found myself a breathing place,
Got room to stand up straight

LGO

Post by LGO » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 am

Hey, Mr. T here (forgot my old login details, sorry!)

I could swear they played It's A Shame About Ray as well!

anyone?

mallocup
Site Admin

Post by mallocup » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:50 am

My bad, I missed out Bit Part and Ray, have updated.

murimax
Contributor 2007-09
Contributor 2007-09

Post by murimax » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Great pics Mr. Goodwin. :cool:
http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com

Ambidextrina
Jello Funder 2009-2012

Post by Ambidextrina » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Yeah, I love the last one :lovedup: Thanks a lot.

I'm so jealous :cry: :D

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by jmhallam » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Great, thanks Roo and Stu.

danballz

Post by danballz » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm

yeahhh, really sweet pics, nice work
And you saw nothing in my eyes but yourself.

mallocup
Site Admin

Post by mallocup » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Review from The Times

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6843003.ece
by Lisa Verrico
4 stars

The Lemonheads’ early 1990s heyday is remembered as much for the drug-addled antics of the former pin-up frontman Evan Dando as for the band’s handful of hits. Yet a core of faithful fans — in London not enough to fill the Forum — still adore Dando for his fabulous country-rock songs. Having split the Lemonheads at the height of his drug addiction, got clean and gone solo, the Boston-born singer revived the group’s name four years ago and, in June, released Varshons, an album of covers of largely obscure artists.

This tour, however, was less about promoting Varshons than retooling fan favourites. Huddled centre stage around a large paper lamp, a dowdily dressed Dando and his latest sidekicks — a drummer and guitarist with punk credentials — tore through 20 tracks in an hour, a dozen of them culled from the 1990s albums It’s A Shame About Ray, Car Button Cloth and Come On Feel the Lemonheads.

What struck was how fresh the songs sounded. It helped that these were rockier renditions than the recorded versions and that, at 42, Dando’s vocals have lost little of their folksy sweetness. But rather than the delivery, it was the timelessness of the songwriting that stood out.

Confetti, Alison’s Starting to Happen and Bit Part all clocked in at under three minutes, but felt like melodic masterpieces with more space, ideas and inventive lyrics than most bands could squeeze into songs twice as long.

Covers of the garage rocker Green Fuz [sic] and the murder ballad Layin’ Up with Linda slotted neatly into the set, but crowd singlaongs were saved for the oldies. Big Gay Heart had its country chorus hijacked and, during It’s A Shame About Ray, Dando left out lines for fans to fill in. He dropped to his knees at the end of If I Could Talk I’d Tell You and beamed with pride when a solo, acoustic version of the camping ditty The Outdoor Type was howled back at him.

Dando spoke little and frequently hid behind his hair — long again, but no longer bleached blond. Clearly relieved that his days of playing the pop star are behind him, he put on a performance designed simply to show off the quality of his back catalogue.

mallocup
Site Admin

Post by mallocup » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:56 pm

Review from http://thepopscener.blogspot.com

Perhaps the best word to describe The Lemonheads’ career is overshadowed. Despite perfecting a distinctly alluring form of grunge-lite in the wake of Nirvana’s Nevermind explosion in the early 1990s, they retained only a fleeting moment of mainstream success, and even then largely due to an average cover of Simon and Garfunkel’s ‘Mrs Robinson’ which has long since been disavowed. Similarly, whilst more revered indie-alternative bands such as the Pixies and Pearl Jam have sparked widespread interest (not to mention overblown remasters and box-sets) with their naughties reunions, the return the Lemonheads since 2006 has come with more of a whimper than a bang, with two moderately received studio albums and a series of smallish tours.

This relative indifference may stem from the fact that the Lemonheads were never really a band. Since their major label debut in 1990 the name has essentially been a vehicle for the singer-songwriter abilities of mercurial frontman Evan Dando, who’s model good looks and unashamed hedonism made him far more popular with the gossip magazines than the Lemonheads’ music was with the general public. Therefore, the Lemonheads as a musical entity were not only overshadowed by their peers, but also by their leader.

However, even back in the 1990s Dando seemed to attract attention more due to his frank and naive responses to basic questions than any kind of calculated publicity campaign. Indeed, based on this evening’s performance, it would appear misguided to hold Dando personally liable for his pre-eminence in the context of his group. Despite a democratically laid out stage which clearly emphasises the importance of his bassist and drummer; despite the paucity of crowd interaction into which Dando immerses himself, and despite the fact that he spends most of the performance rocking characteristically back and forth whilst looking shyly into the microphone, one thing remains clear: Dando is an understated star. At various points in the gig, you find your eyes quite unintentionally drawn to the lead man, who exudes a beguiling mix of broad-shouldered calmness and introspective vulnerability; like Kurt Cobain without the rage.

All this lends further charm to the bittersweet melodies of the Lemonheads’ tunes. Tonight they wisely stick to material from their best known (and most accomplished) records, playing the majority of tracks found on both It’s a Shame About Ray and Come on Feel the Lemonheads, sprinkled with a few from their latter efforts. The response from the eclectic, excitable crowd, ranging in age from around 15-50, shows that this was a smart move. Familiar and energetic renditions of 'Confetti', 'Alison’s starting to Happen' and 'Great Big No' sound great, and are greeted with delight.

Surely the biggest treat, however, is when Dando does – albeit with an air of shy reluctance – take centre stage, barely stopping to catch his breath whilst ripping through over half a dozen short, sweet acoustic tracks. Whereas the cheerful bombast of the full band was pulsatingly fun, Dando’s deep, almost countrified voice could get slightly lost in the mix, and the deluge of simple power pop lacked some variety. In contrast, on stripped down versions of 'Favourite T', and particular highlight 'Frank Mills', Dando’s voice soars, his honeyed delivery more than making up for the few high notes he cautiously avoids, leaving the crowd only to lament that his best track, 'Drug Buddy', which here lacks some of the stoned authenticity it had in 1992, had not been given the same acoustic treatment.

Despite this, the return of the full band for a rabble-rousing finish including an audience-augmented thrash through 'Rudderless' provides a satisfying climax. Whilst some bay for an encore, there is no grandstanding, no smashing of guitars; a humble Dando merely quietly thanks the crowd and leaves. The Lemonheads’ frontman, and by proxy their music, may have been hard to like for the more credible alternative aficionados of the 1990s. However, on this occasion – without ever reaching stratospheric highs – both are very hard to dislike: almost perfectly understated. With Dando the musician taking the lead, the Lemonheads the band are all the better for it.

Conclusion...
Good tunes occasionally turned great by the magnetic Evan Dando, proving perhaps the Lemonheads could have been something special.

Rating... 8/10

mallocup
Site Admin

Post by mallocup » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:17 am

Review from The Independent
www.independent.co.uk
4 stars

Evan Dando has had something of the typical, quirky, rock star life. There was his apotheosis as one of the leading lights of the grunge scene in the early 1990s; there was the unhappy rise to fame off the back of his band's cover of "Mrs Robinson" (featured on their 1992 "breakthrough" album, It's a Shame about Ray); there was his much-publicised use of crack cocaine, and there was something of a gradual slide into obscurity as the world moved on, threw away its ripped jeans, and binned and then subsequently rediscovered their checked shirts over the ensuing decade. He's recently popped up in the press to claim that the 11 September attacks could have been the work of an unpiloted "drone" as opposed to terrorists in the aircraft (nice) and he even appeared at this year's Port Eliot Literary Festival in Cornwall. While there he got drunk and had to cancel his gig the following night (The Women's Institute work there was apparently too appealing).
But to most, however, Dando will always be responsible for providing a soundtrack to their youth, music that transported you to an emotionally "other" place of awkward conversations and strange man-crushes. His lyrics and songs sported the snarling guitars that propelled Nirvana into the stratosphere, but in his case, they always provided an interesting, primal counterpoint to his sometimes naive lyrics and workmanlike attitude to singing, discussing as he went the disenfranchised, over-plugged-in youth of his surroundings, rather than underpinning any sense of alienated rage. Songs like "My Drug Buddy", "Big Gay Heart" or "The Outdoor Type" were more interested in telling the story of a boy lying to a girl about being into camping rather than, say, mulling over the importance of guns or eating people's cancer when they turn black.
And so how refreshing it is to see Dando slouch onstage at this near-packed gig, with long hair pasted across one side of his face, still sporting his ripped jeans and hunching over the microphone, barely mumbling anything beyond an acknowledgement that several hundred people in their late 20s and early 30s are going apoplectic with excitement to see him. From the opening affectionate roar he launched into a series of classic performances of his major hits: "My Drug Buddy", "Style" (with its iconic lyrics "I don't wanna not get stoned") and "It's About Time". Two thirds of the way through the evening he grabbed his acoustic guitar and rattled off "Frank Mills" (provoking, again, much affectionate cooing), along with "The Outdoor Type", much to everyone's obvious glee.
He returned with the full band for the encore – the line-up, over the years, has changed more times than Spinal Tap's drummer – to belt out "Rudderless" ("a ship without a rudder is like a ship without a rudder"). Tonight, Dando appeared alongside Vess Ruhtenburg (bass) and Devon Ashley (drums), the pair who accompanied him on the group's latest release, a collection of cover versions (appropriately enough) which were released in July. That record, Varshons (the English way of pronouncing "versions", apparently (Dando has a British wife), was greeted with a certain amount of predictable affection at the time, despite appearances by Kate Moss (singing over what the band quite wistfully describe as a "dance groove" on Arling & Cameron's "Dirty Robot") and Liv Tyler (backing vocals on Leonard Cohen's "Hey That's No Way to Say Goodbye"). Tonight, renditions of its tracks were in short supply as the way was paved for nostalgia. "The Green Fuz" [sic] (originally by the 1960s garage rockers of the same name) and G G Allin's "Layin' Up With Linda" were its only inclusions. On the whole, though, this evening was an appealing slope down memory lane – and most people there treated it as such.

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by jmhallam » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Some really good reviews! Love reading those. Critics who appreciate what we already know.

danballz

Post by danballz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 pm

yeah, really dig that last review
And you saw nothing in my eyes but yourself.

range_life

Post by range_life » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 am

that was the best i'd seen evan in ages! god it makes such a difference when he has a great band, the drummer was fucking amazing :drums: and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves, really natural... a big difference from any of the bands he's had in the last ten years (chris b exluded :nod: )... in a weird way it could have been nic and dave up there.... hope he sticks with these guys :guitar:

lillou

Post by lillou » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Evan was in great form, far better than when I saw them in Toronto earlier in the year, everyone seemed really happy to be there and enjoying the songs :)

I liked the fact they didn't come back on after Rudderless...perfect ending to a great show :D

Metalheart

Post by Metalheart » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:39 am

Nice to see Devon back with the band...hes a badass drummer for sure!
You're one light slowly fading in my mind

dfekt86

Post by dfekt86 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:31 am

only played Pittsburgh from the newer Lemonheads album?

i'm noticing a trend now. they really shouldn't leave those out.
Matt Brooker

barnboy
Jello Funder 2012
Jello Funder 2012

Post by barnboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:53 pm

dfekt86 wrote:only played Pittsburgh from the newer Lemonheads album?

i'm noticing a trend now. they really shouldn't leave those out.

Yeah that was the only real downside to he gig i love that album and the songs deserve to be played still my second favorite lemonheads album.
I found myself a breathing place,
Got room to stand up straight

Ouish

Post by Ouish » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Sorry - this is petty - but i am getting sick of this "he no longer dies his hair " stuff . I NEVER DIED , BLEACHED OR DID ANYTHING TO MY HAIR . It has gotten a little darker in my old age .My hair was bright blond till i turned 16 . There - just had to get that off my chest - evan

sparkyhorse
Contributor 2007/08
Contributor 2007/08

Post by sparkyhorse » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:22 pm

dude, hopefully your hair will never die regardless of whether it is dyed :scared:
I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me

lutewhine

Post by lutewhine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Has to be said it is weird how many reviews in recent years mention Evan's hair.

It's seemingly mandatory to mention drugs, hair and also to get some fact or other wrong, such as which songs were played.
"That's the power of rock man...no strap can hold it"

jmhallam
Contributor 2009
Contributor 2009

Post by jmhallam » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:42 am

You're a stickler for the spelling , sparky.