Sorry Lu (A Tribute To Lucinda Williams) Free download

Anything and everything or just plain nothing

Moderators: mallocup, Smudge, lutewhine

chrise79

Sorry Lu (A Tribute To Lucinda Williams) Free download

Post by chrise79 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Hello everyone. So here it is. I've spent the last year on and off recording a cover album of the great country singer Lucinda Williams self titled album. It all started with watching Evan Dando last year. He usually puts a few of Lucinda's covers in his set list, and I wondered how it would sound with a full band. So I first recorded the track "like a rose" playing all the instruments myself. After some encouragement from Ian Mooney I thought i'd cover the whole album. Here's the twist, I decided I was going to record it in the style of all my favourite bands when I was a teenager. So you get the likes of Smudge Dinosaur Jr NirvanaDescendents (Official)The Juliana Hatfield ThreeMudhoneyThe Lemonheads. Most of it was recorded in my garage and also The Subliminals rehearsal space. I also took the decision to keep all the songs in their original key for better or worst. It's a free download so feel free to rip a copy. Don't worry iphone users you won't find a file in your drop box. All comments welcome. Cheers Chris. https://soundcloud.com/chrise79/sets/sorry-lu-a-tribute-to-lucinda-williams

gwood

Re: Sorry Lu (A Tribute To Lucinda Williams) Free download

Post by gwood » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:37 pm

I listened to a bit of each song, and they all sounded good. The only thing I found a bit off was the drum sound, particularly the snare. Not the performance, which is good, but the tone. I'd try to EQ some of the high end out, or maybe pull up the low mids, maybe both. They also seemed just a bit high in the mix. Maybe just a touch of reverb would be good. I struggle with this stuff myself, and am certainly no expert, but that's my impression.
Music by me--
https://oneoffrekerdz.bandcamp.com

chrise79

Re: Sorry Lu (A Tribute To Lucinda Williams) Free download

Post by chrise79 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks for your input. It was the best happy medium i could get. I tried doing the three system test and the levels seem ok. It's a learning curve. I don't know it you can tell but some of the drum tracks only had four mics while some had seven on them. My next project will be my own songs so hopefully they'll be some improvement.